Vocabulary Test is THIS Friday 3/21. Study hard!
STAAR VOCABULARY 2
1. chart – information in the form of a table, graph, or diagram
3. emphasize- to make stand out; to stress
Example: By capitalizing and bolding the words WORK QUIETLY, my teacher emphasized that she wanted us to work quietly in groups.
4. interpret – to explain the meaning of something
Example: I had a difficult time trying to interpret what the man was saying in Spanish.
5. foreshadowing – giving clues as to what’s to come in a story
6. unfamiliar– not familiar; unknown
Example: The pair of socks looked very unfamiliar to her; she had no clue who they belonged to.
7. textual evidence – evidence given from the text (the written selection)
Example: Look at Figure 19E.
9. heading – a title at the beginning of a page, section, or chapter
10. subheading – an additional heading that comes right after (below) the heading
11. verify – to prove something or to make sure something is true
Example: Mom decided to call the school to verify that we were getting out early the next day.
12. predict– to guess what will happen in the future
Example: Because Anna seems sorry for hurting my feelings, I predictthat she would soon apologize.
13. characteristic – a feature or quality of someone or something
Example: Her kind, caring, and giving characteristics cause her to have many friends.
14. biography – an account of a person’s life, written by someone else
Example: Martin’s Big Words (The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.) by Doreen Rappaport
15. autobiography – an account of someone’s life, written by THAT person
Example: The Diary of a Young Girl (a book about Anne Frank) written by Anne Frank